SRD Dimmable LED Drivers Overview
The SRD dimmable LED drivers are the first drivers truly compatible with all types of triac dimmers. They are small, yet powerful and reliable.
The goal was to create a driver that can be used with existing dimmers, or, if no dimmer exists, to allow the use of inexpensive triac dimmers. This is very important, since the typical electronic low voltage dimmers required by most LED dimming drivers can cost upwards of $100.
The key feature of the SRD drivers is the compatibility not only with standard on/off slider and rotating dimmers, but also compatibility with the digital fade in/out dimmers such as Lutron Maestro series MA-600 (MAW-600) and Leviton VIZIA+ series VPI06. In addition, the driver was tested with electronic low voltage dimmers and performed well with all tested dimmers. (Leviton VIZIA+ series VPE06-1LX and Lutron Maestro series MAELV-600)
Outlined below are the major features that together, make the SRD driver unique:
- Operation with digital on/off fade in/out drivers.
- High power factor (>0.98)
- Linear, continous dimming. (no skips and linear dimming from highest to lowest dimmer setting)
- Flicker-free dimming.
- Wide output voltage range (over 40% of maximum output voltage - i.e. if maximum voltage is 20V, dimmer should work with any LEDs from 12V to 20V - a 8V range, or 40% of maximum output voltage)
- Operation with ELV (electronic low voltage) dimmers.
- No shutdown at lowest dimming setting. (Will not turn off if dimmer is turned all the way down unless the off button on the dimmer is pressed - One exception being if the dimmer does not have an on/off button and the off state is the lowest dimming setting)
- Restart at lowest dimming setting. (If dimmer is off and the slider/rotary knob is turned to minimum dimming, when turning dimmer back on at this minimum dimming setting, the driver will power on)
In addition to the key features listed above, the SRD drivers also provide overvoltage, undervoltage, short and open circuit protection and a low operating temperature (<60°C @ 25°C ambient under maximum load).